Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Wisdom of 140 Characters or Less

A few weeks back the only thing I knew about Twitter was the absurd notion that you could communicate anything worthy in short messages of less than 141 characters. Absurd precisely because pithy messages didn't seem like they could say what I really wanted to say.

Well, yet another paradox.

The crazy thing is the limitation actually forced me to think more clearly about what I wanted to say. Of course I had to learn a new type of shorthand beyond the ubiquitous ones like LOL, IMO, BTW, and such. Now I use words like 2nite and 4 for , well "for":)

The consequence has been a mixed bag of frustration and surprises. Mostly pleasant. I learned that I could post anything from the plain silly to profound and moving and everywhere in between. At this juncture I am not seeking business relations. But they are seeking me.

Odd.

My original motivation was simply to see what it means to Twit and Tweet in a world where short messages could connect me with a thousand people aka "peeps." I didn't expect much. After all I was operating with the preconceived notion that the exchange of 140 characters or less, with a cast of characters was no more than an extension to text messaging. The realm of preteens and teens alike. Certainly not 4 a seasoned veteran of technology such as myself.

Funny thing about preconceived notions, they melt under the burden of reality. Twittering has been an eye opener. I have met some amazing people (you know who you are;) People from all segments of society and from all over the world. all in a matter of a few weeks.

Crazy stuff this Twitter is.

So back to my original intent. I was asking myself, "Self, what conversation do you really want to be in?" And Self replied "Sow the seeds of all of your interests, let the Tweeple decide." And that is how it has been. I have sown a variety of seeds from clean green energy to sublime spirituality. And the Tweeple they did reply.

It has been a surprise the quality of ideas that I have been privy to be engaged in. I am humbled.

So, I will Twit and Tweet and hopefully meet the denizens of Twitterville for dialog, for ideas and for fun.

And for business too.

No comments:

Post a Comment