Saturday, February 14, 2009

Twitterpation.

Is Twitter an addiction?

If I take the massive number of Tweets as an indicator, a good case could be made for addiction. Certainly I've seen a significant number of Tweets which self-disclosed a difficulty leaving the living cloud of thoughts, feeling, ideas, humor, connections, songs, jokes, possibilities, and mysteries that is Twitter.

Strange how 140 characters or less can hook you. But its precisely the nature of the short messages that insists we go further. Its a version of the "carrot on a stick" method of moving the donkey, I mean moving the Tweetizen deeper into Twitterville by offering a small reward for Tweeting. That reward is a reply. And the opportunity to engage in a 100 conversations about anything and everything.

And the surprising result is the serendipitous connection with great Tweeple, I mean real people, or people who seem real:) I have had the good fortune to connect in meaningful ways with people on Twitter that has led to nascent friendships, conversations for possible joint ventures, and openings to new ideas and possibilities.

In a previous post I shared with you my original intent with Twitter. Dive in and find out firsthand what Twitter really is.

What did I learn?

1. Twitter is an amorphous, and almost infinite network of people. Every kind of people.

2. The 140 character limitation forced me to think more clearly and precisely what I wanted to say.

3. I realized I could extend the conversation as needed to other media including this blog.

4. I could connect with people who were moving in directions I wanted to explore.

5. I could Tweet with the famous, the infamous, the ordinary and extraordinary.

6. I could Tweet with people from diverse backgrounds that I would most likely never meet or talk with in my own community.

7. I could get answers to real questions from a cloud of expertise and diverse experience that would be impossible to replicate any other way.

8. I could explore my own various interests in alternative energy, philosophy, life, comedy, writing, people, film, religion, spirituality.

It all boils down to "what conversation do I want to be a part of?" And how can I share my knowledge, experience and wisdom(assuming I have some) in such a way that encourages the cultivation of these conversations for my own good, the good of others and the greater collective good.

The answer remains elusive. The ink is barely dry on my Twitterville Twitterzenship papers.

What I do know is that Twitter is a fascinating process of connecting with people. If fascination is the root of the addiction, then count me in. I'm Twitterpated.

No comments:

Post a Comment