Thursday, February 19, 2009

What You are Seeking is Seeking You?

This is a reposting of the post from a few days ago. The original post was titled in Hindi. Wasn't sure why it came out that way. But thanks to a seasoned blogger, I was informed that I had inadvertently set the title to be transliterated into Hindi. Hopefully no one was offended by this faux pas - that's French for "a social blunder":) So the weirdnest of the transliterated title has been amended. Amen.

Still there are many more faux pas's at the quantum level that are worthy of exploration. The notion of "seeking" is one of them. It alters our outlook and the direction of attention in non-ordinary ways. As was observed by the prominent quantum physicist Sir Arthur Eddington, "Not only is the world stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine"

Weird. But weird in the best of all possible ways.

Weird on a number of levels. First and foremost I have a really good memory. And I just wrote the title, like , 30 seconds ago. Shot term memory lapse I suspect. Could be the background music too. Utube, I mean U2 is reminding me over and over, in the same lovely drone, "I still having found what I'm looking for!"

Well here's a clue for you all, neither have I!

Part of the game of life. We seek, we find, then we get bored and we seek again and again. Ever seeking, ever finding but never feeling like we really found what we are looking for. Of course it could be about me. Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't found what he's looking for?

What about you? What are you looking for? St. Francis of Assisi observed that what we are looking for is looking for us.

Weird. What we are seeking is seeking us.

Strange. Gives a different spin to the biblical verse which says simply, "Seek and ye shall find!" Is the universe set up in such a way that seeking in the most fundamental sense is always finding?

Perhaps the key is in the nature of the seeking itself. Brain researchers have discovered that a part of the brain called the Reticular Activation System (RAS) is in part responsible for the phenomena of the "red car." When we decide we want a red car or any other car, we immediately begin to notice "red cars" everywhere. Its as if the universe flooded our world with red cars where previously there were few if any to be found.

Of course the "red cars" were there all the time, we simply did not have them on our radar. When we seek, whatever it maybe, we set our intention, deploy our attention and find what we seek. The ancient Greeks claimed that our minds are Teleological, goal seeking. I suppose the ideas of St. Francis, Plato, Jesus and others has merit.

We do seem to find what we are seeking. Weird.

Yet another paradox. We seek and we do find, and we still haven't found what we're looking for. And we seek and we do not find. What's missing from this picture? I have to reflect further on this whole notion of seeking=finding.

Right now I'm seeking another cup of Joe. And it has sought me. Kona coffee on a sunny afternoon in the shadow of the magnificent snow-covered Wasatch Mountains. Perfect. For now. mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment