Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Paradoxical Trip to the Mall

Went to the mall today. I know that doesn't sound particularly interesting. But it developed into yet another paradoxical encounter. Those who are familiar with my previous entries and my philosophy in general will find the "Mall" story curiously refreshing.

The day started out at Whole Foods. A cup of Colombian coffee, a bran muffin a bit of twitterpation:) All normal stuff for the holy mully. The cell phone rings breaking me free of the Twitter trance. But only for a brief moment. A friend inquiring about the best brand of black rifles to purchase.

Whole Foods and black rifles go together like love and marriage:)

An hour later Nat shows up inspired to go to the local gun store and look at---you guessed it "black rifles." Holding a black rifle in hand is a shot of pure testosterone for any man. Shooting one puts at least two inches on your biceps.

We meet at the gun store an hour later. 3 PM to be exact. The store was packed. I mean packed with men and a few woman too. Rumor has it gun sales are up. Today's experience confirmed it. Truly amazing. Nat asked a lot of questions. The kind of questions that drive busy store clerks to go "postal":)

While there, I picked up a Bush Master with a green laser. Amazing feeling. No bullets of course. Just the raw energy of life. Nat ran out of questions, and I ran out of time.

Was only a few blocks from the Mall. Hadn't been there since the election and decided to see what it could tell me about the mood of America. The Mall is an icon. Its denizens participants in the All-American pastime of shopping. Unlike the excitement and population density at the gun store, the Mall had a moderate amount of traffic. And no buzz.

Now I had no expectations at the Mall. Never do and never will. But I am open to receive. I am receptive. Today I am the "Yes Man", at least that is the intention I started the day with. Say "Yes" more often. Just like the yes man himself and the movie by the same name.

Today I chose to say yes more often.


No idea where it would lead and what miracles it would create. But I was a willing participant in this experiment. My stroll through the Mall was uneventful. That was until I entered the Brookstone store. I like browsing Brookstone. A guy thing I suppose. I get a "charge" out of gadgets. I had a pain in my right shoulder and decided to give it a little love, so I picked up the double Thumper massager and entered the kingdom of heaven:) It was pure bliss. Shoulder pain ebbed, mind relaxed. I could have stood there for hours, surrendering to the deep thumping pulsations.

But destiny and quantum physics conspired to pop me to a higher energy level. I was drawn into a lively conversation which danced with the muse of music, life and DNA. I thank the powers of good that invited me to be a part of such a eloquent exchange of energy, ideas and light.

The paradox?

The special mix of the day's experiences were the result of an attitude of "yes" and my intention to live in a deliberate and conscious way. To all who shared with me the joy of living today, I am grateful to have been touched by your light, your presence and your authentic humanity.

Dancing with the paradox, contradictions and ironies of the day reconnected me with the intrinsic nature of reality and enlightened my human experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment